Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Your Turn At The Getty - You Figure Out The Story

I've already posted what I don't like about the Getty Museum in LA.  I also said people should take advantage of what's good there.  I'm going to post some of the objects I saw at the museum and let you interpret what story is.  Or even try to figure out what the title might be. 

I know most of you aren't going to do that.  It's too much trouble to take a few minutes and look into the picture and imagine what is happening.  I'll put the museum description up below.  (I like being able to write 'up below.')

A
 
B


C
This one is an interesting story.


D


E

F

G

H


I

J
There's an interesting characteristic about the teapot.






2
1
4
3















5
6
7

8






10

9


Do I really need to tell you which is which?  I think you can figure it out.  You can double click any of these to see it larger.

3 comments:

  1. as a regular getty goer, i recognize all of your photos.
    unlike you, i find the getty to be quite inspirational. and as an artist i seek it out for just that inspiration....especially the architecture.
    i'm actually going to head up there at the end of the week for some drawing time and a bit of photo taking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon (getty goer) - There are parts of the Getty I find inspiring too - which is why I posted some of their holdings.

    From one perspective, I can understand someone's admiration of the architecture. The point I was trying to make though was that underlying the architecture is a theme of conquering and controlling nature which I don't admire and which the Getty does on a very grand scale. I've even asked myself why I like the Disney Concert Hall so much and is it really different from the Getty. It clearly is different in that it didn't destroy a large chunk of nature in a city that has less and less nature.

    What about the architecture do you find inspiring?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, once the teacher, always the teacher! Not a bad way of looking at the world and a blog...

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.