Friday, November 26, 2010

Why Cars Kill About 160 Moose a Year in Anchorage

We were coming home from Scott Turner Schofield's performance of parts of his book "Two Truths and a lie" at Out North tonight and the car in front of us turned soooooooooo slooooooooowly at the green arrow onto Northern Lights.


You can really tell who doesn't have studded tires, I was thinking.  Then as we were almost home another car put on his right turn blinker (that's good) and then turned into a cartoon slow motion car for half a block before the turn.  Then J said - there's moose.

 I was barely moving when the car turned right to reveal a moose and calf barely visible in the dark.    You can see why so many get hit.  Or maybe I should say you can't see.

I'm always amazed at how these huge brown animals can blend so well into their surroundings.  I've passed moose while jogging and not realized they were there until I sense something there, and look over to see one eating ten feet away as I pass.  It was a good thing the car in front of me took so long to turn right and I was barely moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.