Saturday, September 25, 2010

Edelweiss Restaurant - Lac La Hache, BC

On one of our earlier trips along the Alcan - we think returning home in 2000 - we were lucky enough to be hungry as we were passing through Lac La Hache (Lake of the Axe).  I remembered a restaurant - was it Hungarian? - where the dinner was superb. 

So I was hoping that we could get to Lac La Hache by dinner time on Thursday night and that this place was still there.  But the Yellowhead Highway was so slow that we barely got past Prince George before dark. 


But today as we went through Lac La Hache at 1pm, there it was - Edelweis Restaurant.  Not quite Hungarian.  Austrian.  There is so much junk food available along the road.  But this place is a jewel. 






We were seated in the room with the view of the lake.  It had been raining pretty hard and so the view was grey. 



Not your typical roadside diner. 









Here's a close up of the embroidery on the table cloth.









Spätzele with vegies.  This was real food with real taste. 














The sky to the west was starting to clear over the lake as we ate. 









And by the time we finished the apple strudel, the rain had ended and we were ready to drive on. 


So, if you find yourself going through Lac La Hache, British Columbia, and you want some real food, I'd advise the Edelweiss Restaurant.  It's on the lake side of the road. [Regular readers know this sort of plug is genuine.  The owners don't even know I'm a blogger and that I was planning on posting this.]

5 comments:

  1. I miss this food. When I was an exchange student, I learned to cook German food and I came home and cooked for my family with it for years. Just looking at this restaurant makes me homesick for a place I spent a short amount of time at. I am going to refamiliarize myself with this and cook again for my family from these recipes.

    Every time I got pregnant, I craved German food. There was a place in Girdwood that I went to eat at many times with the earier pregnancies. I don't know if it is still there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just went to this little place and it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife and I spent a night in Lac La Hache on June 4 2009 and ate here. We loved it! Beautiful, homecooked style meals in a quaint, simple dining room. The hosts were wonderful...whenever we talk about our travels in Canada and the US, we always mention 'that night at Edelweisse'. It was just such a unique, lovely dining experience. We are sure to return when we travel through the region again in Summer 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a cottage on Lac La Hache and have dined at Edelweiss at least twice per summer for the past 6 years. My kids always enjoy when we jump in the boat and head over for dinner. Love the food, love the owners, love the atmosphere. Was happy to see others feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.