Monday, January 25, 2010

New Run Route - Eagles and Other Sights

Scrondahl commented on the Stay off the Flume post, that I should not rule out the Flume, but check the Juneau Avalanche Forecast. Here's Sunday's forecast:





The flume trail itself is pretty short, I'd really like to go further up Basin Road. But today, before getting to the avalanche forecast site, I took HarpboyAK's suggested and ran out Glacier Highway and back. It was not in the woods, but it was a nice run.





There are eagles in Anchorage from time to time.




But today I saw about ten in my hour run.  That
wouldn't happen in Anchorage.

 

 

 


 






Almost home now as I pass the Evergreen cemetery.
That's the name, not my description.


When I got home I was able to take a quick shower before Juneau friends arrived.  We haven't seen them since Zoe was born in Anchorage (she was early).  So we went down to Capitol Park.  We saw this bumper sticker on the way. 






Here's Sky, the older brother,  moving much faster than
I can easily catch him with the camera.



3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you're not going to go up Basin, but I won't be the person that tells you it's safe and sends you off in to the wilds. I agree that Perseverance Trail should be avoided during the winter, and that the flume is dangerous when avalanche danger is high. I am not sure that a snow slide in the big Mt. Juneau avalanche chute has made it across Gold creek since the 1960's. I have walked up Basin year round, and especially in the winter when the road is closed to vehicle traffic.

    Sorry you're going to miss out on the peace and quiet to be found blocks from your winter home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I was a couple of years off regarding snow across Gold Creek, looks like the site shows 1972. Could have sworn I was in kindergarten when that one happened!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked those charts but a mathematician would have problems with that. "Probability" can be between 0 and 1 only where 1 means it is a sure event and 0 means it is impossible to happen.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.