Sunday, December 06, 2009

AIFF 2009 - Paul Cotter's Bomber


I saw Bomber last night and haven't yet had time to distill why I liked it. I'm already in a bit of film overload.  My brain is like the airport over Christmas break. I'll try to do something more coherent on Bomber later, but meanwhile here are some initial thoughts and much better yet, about ten minutes of Paul Cotter himself answering questions after the showing.



I was hearing good things about Bomber, but wasn't able to get a sneak preview, so Saturday night was it, because it was the only showing.

A British adult ends up taking his parents to Germany, a trip his father wanted to take to a town he bombed in World War II.

This film, made for about $30,000.  Yes. four zeroes.  At that price a seriously flawed movie could score fairly well on my quality/$ scale.  But this is a film that is as good or better than most of the ones I see over a year.

It's a serious, funny movie about parent/child and husband/wife relationships.  It's funny because I suspect that most everyone in the audience over 20 could relate to one or more of the roles in the film and because you have to laugh because otherwise it hurts because he's put truths about your own life up on the big screen.

I'd been watching films since 1pm this afternoon and this was a 7:45 pm movie.  But it went by pretty quickly.  As I said above, I'll try to get something more coherent up.  It's clear that doing the videos takes enough time that I rationalize I don't have time to write.  But I also need some time to process what I've seen to write something worth more than, it's good or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.