Friday, October 17, 2008

It's Hot in LA


Trying to pull back on the computer stuff and spend more time with my mom and doing some other writing. But old friends are also distractions. It's been hot these two days - high 80's to low 90s. But a lot drier than Thailand. Today and yesterday mornings I ran down to Venice Beach - pretty much a straight shot from my mom's house - about 2 miles each way.

I got a surprise yesterday as a pod (?) of dolphins passed by just off shore (but not that close for my 3X optical zoom). And then I ran past what I thought was the house of an old friend of mine from boy scouts - it was for sale. The neighbor was out so I confirmed with her it was the right house. She was lots of fun - she's on the video.


Some friends are coming over to pick me up now, so I'll post this and add the other pictures later.

Pictures are of yesterday and today. They were just setting up the booths on the boardwalk at Venice Beach.

And some freeway pictures from going out to the valley for dinner with other relatives. It wasn't that much warmer there than at the beach.

October 17 pm update: Added pictures:

Venice Beach Promenade - just setting up - looking South at Rose.


Venice Promenade looking North at Rose.


The Promenade is on Ocean Front Walk.


These pictures are on the back of a building at the intersection of what streets? Answer at the bottom.

Switching from the Santa Monica Freeway east to the San Diego Freeway north about 3:30pm. I know these freeways have numbers now, but I remember when they didn't exist. When they were built they were given real names, not just numbers. Going down to the beach was great, but driving out to the Valley reminded me why I'm living in Anchorage.



Would you believe Lincoln and Rose?

2 comments:

  1. Looking at that intersection ahead gave me a choking sensation. Dear G-d, that must be frightening. How do students learn to navigate that?

    What are Abe and a Rose on a building and what do they signify?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm assuming you're talking about the freeway picture. I don't think of that as an intersection. It's the link from one freeway to another and I'll have to merge into the other freeway traffic as I get over this bridge.

    I guess I was too subtle about Lincoln and Rose. This building - it was a market but is being converted to other things now and there's a Whole Foods that was put on the other side of this big strip mall - is on the corner of Lincoln Blvd. and Rose Avenue.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.