Friday, June 13, 2008

Guidelines for Dealing with Promo Emails - Begich Online Interview today at 3pm

The good news, I suppose, is that somebody thinks my blog is worth paying attention to. But now I have to figure out how to deal with emails that want me to publicize something for them. Here are my first draft guidelines:

If you pass something on:
  1. let the readers know how you got the story (this really goes for any post)
  2. there should be something that might be of interest to your readers (both of them) that they might not know about otherwise
  3. there should be something unique about the opportunity
I'll have to come up with some more, but this will do for now.

Let's try them out:
1.
I got an email from a website that describes itself as "a progressive blog started by former edwards supporters and dedicated to promoting a progressive agenda and "more and BETTER" downticket candidates." Is 'downticket' like coach?
They say they got my email from Begich's online guy Matt Browner-Hamlin.

2.
They want me to let my readers know about an onliine interview with Mark Begich, Alaska's downticket candidate for Senator. (No they didn't say it like that.) It's happening this afternoon at 3pm Alaska time at www.EENRblog.com. You have to register if you want to ask questions, and they want you to keep them respectful. It's pretty short notice and I suspect 'my readers' aren't likely to see this anywhere else, except maybe one of the other Alaska blogs that got a similar email.

3.
Is it unique? Well, I've never participated in an online candidate interview. There's curiosity factor. Maybe I'll want to do a live interview here one day. My readers can be on the blog frontier. Mom - you can impress your grandson's friends with your hipness.

Of course this site may think they are offering Alaskan's a great opportunity to talk with one of our Senate candidates. They probably don't realize how accessible they are here where we have so few people. But for people outside of Anchorage, bumping into Mark Begich at the Thai Kitchen isn't so easy. What might be more interesting to Alaskans, though, is the chance to find out about candidates from other states.



And I did find this video on "Why I'm Voting Republican" on their site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.