Monday, September 24, 2007

Kott Trial - So What Does it All Mean?

Beats me.

I'm still trying to figure how to talk about the closing. There is one tidbit that might be revealing. Towards the end of his closing argument, as I was typing furiously, Defense Attorney Wendt was making his argument [again I warn you this is not complete, but the best I could track what was being said]

He may be a drinker, he was shooting his mouth off. The govt. wants you to believe where there is smoke there is fire. They’ve only showed you the smoke. Sometimes where there is smoke, all there is is puffing. Puffing. Acting like a horse’s mouth. He’s never done ex, etc. Never did anything for ba except to work with them for what they wanted to accomplish. Pete Kott believed we aren’t going to get a pipeline unless we get a ppt. A republican gov.introduced a bill supported by a republican representative. Shooting his mouth off. Now he has pictures of himself on the internet for his grandkids to watch. He spent years in the legislature and in flooring and the Air Force.
Then he said:

And it’s not funny, sir.

I asked the person sitting next to me if one of the jurors had laughed. He hadn't seen anything or heard the comment.

Last night I asked my wife (who sat on the other side of the courtroom from me) about it. She said the juror with the long white beard smiled.

So this is the part where Wendt is telling the jurors what a hard working man Kott is and he's never asked for anything. And the juror smiles. Do you think he wasn't buying it. And how does that juror and the other jurors react to being admonished by the defense attorney?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.