Saturday, August 11, 2007

Blogger's New Browse Profile Feature

Wow! Quite some time back I had thought this was built in and so when I went to click on Alaska on my profile hoping to see all the other Alaska Bloggers, I was very disappointed you couldn't do this. But today you can. Now I've been gathering links for Alaska blogs hoping at some point to make a map of the types of blogs that are out there. The two blog rolls on the right side are part of that effort. I'd found about 250 Alaskan blogs. But when I clicked on Alaska in the Browse Profile feature, just now, it said there were over 6000! There's no way I'm going to map all those.

But then I went back to my profile and clicked on my first listing under favorite music, Keith Jarrett. Only 305. Out of all the millions of Blogspot bloggers, only 305 listed Keith Jarrett among their favorite musicians.

The first one I clicked on was Leighton. His banner is spectacular - at least to my taste. And the first post up was the YouTube of Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee which I immediately posted (below this one.) The photos on his site are also fine. And another video further down - the Secret - by Mark Day was also worth watching.

Obviously, there's something special about people who list Keith Jarrett in their favorite music. I make this claim based on a sample of one. Never mind that Leighton may find my site boring. For now, Keith Jarrett rocks. [I just picked the first Jarrett YouTube that came up. I'd never seen him perform before and I think perhaps the music is more enjoyable if you just listen. In any case the one I'd most recommend is the Koln [don't know how to do an umlaut here] concert CD.] I'll check out more of these Keith Jarrett fans later and give you a report. Meanwhile I'm going to try to put together a video/slideshow of last night's (now) "Broadway Under the Stars" at Town Square. Of course the sun doesn't go down til 10:30pm in early August, but there was a good crowd on this beautiful evening and the music was very good.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Steve-kins :) I presume the profile thingy is just on bloggers new template I stayed with the old template as I can alter the HTML as I wish and could not get the new template HTML to do what I wanted.

    Then again I was to lazy to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume the nickname is in response to my addressing you as Mirkle. Now is that sign we're buds or a term of derision?

    I checked your profile and it works there too. In fact I clicked on Scotland and it said there were 8.000 + blogs with Scotland listed. Compare that to 6,000+ in Alaska.

    According to the 2001 Census, Scotland had 5,062,011 people.

    And our census says Alaska, in 2006, had an estimated 670,055 people.

    Forgetting about the difference between 2001 and 2006, that means Scotland has about 7.5 times the number of people as Alaska. But Scotland only has 1 and 1/3 the number of blogspot blogs that Alaska has.

    Can that be possible? I guess most Scots have a real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh now let me think... hmmmm err err oh alright then it's not a term of derision.

    I did not realise that Alaska had such a small population thanks for that. Compared to England about 50 million Scotland's population is tiny! I'm number 1 of course;) I assumed Alaska would have a far greater density of population than Scotland just shows you.

    As for the number of bloggers most Scots are probably on Bebo thinking they are still young hip and trendy pah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The year we were in Hong Kong, I calculated the HK population with Alaska's population density (1person/square mile). It came out to about 400 people living in HK.

    So, if Wikipedia is right that
    "Scotland is 78 772 km² (30414 square miles)" with Alaska's pop density, you'd have 30,414 people living in Scotland. But since your "population is all tiny" (bogles and elves I assume) there's still lots of room.

    Does that help explain the appeal of living here? But, it's really awful, cold, and those mosquitoes suck human blood before the birds get them, and I was lying about the ticks, and you really have to hate people to want to live here, go to Seattle or Portland or Australia instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here in Scotland only in Scotland on the west coast we have the famous man eating midges feracious they are!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.