Saturday, May 12, 2007

Leah's Bat Mitzvah and Sabbatical Year



I didn't really know Leah, but her Mom is my dermatologist and I like her mom a lot. I was impressed by her poise, her seriousness, and preparation and the thoughtfulness of her comments. Her mom should be (and was) very proud of Leah today. So were the relatives who came from out of state. She even had a moose looking in through the picture window for a few minutes.



Her Torah portion from Leviticus was a reminder of how old the environmental movement is. Moses is to tell his people to rest the fields the seventh year.




And God also tells Moses that the land belongs to God, that people cannot own the land, they can only use it for a while and they must protect the land. Something that doesn't seem to have translated well into most economics texts. Click here for a commentary on this Torah portion.












At the end of the service we had the blessing over the bread and people gathered together for a beautiful meal in the newly enlarged room in the Synagogue.




[Blog etiquette is something I continue to improvise as I go along. Picture taking during the services is generally frowned on and I decided I'd leave out pictures of people altogether for this event. Can't explain why. It feels right.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.