Thursday, March 08, 2007

Travel Plans

It's Friday. I have class tomorrow. My foot is in much better shape than yesterday. We took a tuk-tuk to the Hospital for Joan's last rabies shot. Then walked the couple hundred meters to the Mall to check on email and to post. Email was fine, but couldn't post. The student who had us listen to the classical Thai music last week, invited us to visit a private Chinese-Thai school. He's president of the foundation that funds it along with the Thai government. I'm in his office now, above one of his gold shops, posting. Unfortunately, I didn't bring the cord to download the pictures from my camera or I could offer you some pics of the school.

Before we went to Khao Yai, we bought AirAsia tickets from Chiegmai to Bangkok for March 22. Low cost airlines have made it to Thailand like they have to India. The fare, one way, was B599 on line, but I couldn’t book from the internet store I was in. So we went to the AirAsia outlet where it turned out to be B1500 each (fees and taxes, plus a small commission.) So it’s about $45 one way for an hour flight. We have reservations at the Royal River Hotel in Bangkok for the Peace Corps reunion March 22, 23, and 24. My class is over on Sunday, March 11, and our visas expire on March 14. So we plan to leave Korat Monday, March 12, and go into Laos that day or the next. Then we’ll move on up to Luang Prabang, the old capital in the north, and slowly move our way back into Thailand through Chieng Rai and to Chieng Mai. It looks like bus from Vientiane to Luang Prabang, and then a two day boat ride up the Mekong River (I think) to where we cross into Thailand at Huay Xai.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.